Odorless&Transparent

"the deadliest bullshit is odorless and transparent" - William Gibson

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Gags

Thought provoking article article about some specific comedy techniques throughout film history. I clash with some points like "Flatness is good" but The Gag Reflex by David Cairns is good read:

"I decided to short-circuit expectation and try to make the audience (a bunch of foreign strangers whose tastes I don't know) laugh good-naturedly at the death of a child. Surprise is the weapon that allows me to do this...Larry David argues that you get extra points by being funny about difficult, painful subjects. The risk if you fail is greater. I'm really glad I pulled off this joke. You probably hate me right now, but trust me, if you saw this film I think you'd laugh too. When Nietzsche said that a joke was an elegy for the death of an emotion, he was possibly thinking of me."

2 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I really like your website. I have one on russian martial art here is the link to it. Come visit it and let me know what you think.

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you would just take your time to know your way around, you could discover

 

Post a Comment

<< Home