Odorless&Transparent

"the deadliest bullshit is odorless and transparent" - William Gibson

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Gags

Thought provoking article article about some specific comedy techniques throughout film history. I clash with some points like "Flatness is good" but The Gag Reflex by David Cairns is good read:

"I decided to short-circuit expectation and try to make the audience (a bunch of foreign strangers whose tastes I don't know) laugh good-naturedly at the death of a child. Surprise is the weapon that allows me to do this...Larry David argues that you get extra points by being funny about difficult, painful subjects. The risk if you fail is greater. I'm really glad I pulled off this joke. You probably hate me right now, but trust me, if you saw this film I think you'd laugh too. When Nietzsche said that a joke was an elegy for the death of an emotion, he was possibly thinking of me."

11 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger GS said...

This site gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other great Las Vegas stuff including info about ka tickets Check it out ka tickets

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I really like your website. I have one on russian martial art here is the link to it. Come visit it and let me know what you think.

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I really like your blog. I have a website on karate kid movie that you might find of interest. Here's the link. Have a look at it and let me know what you think.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger GS said...

Hey here is a site that actually gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other useful information regarding Las Vegas getaways and celine dion tickets Check it out celine dion tickets

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about wellness program and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about wellness program so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger DietGlobe said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a 1000 Calorie Diet site. It pretty much covers 1000 Calorie Diet related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you would just take your time to know your way around, you could discover

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

hello, your blog is interesting to read. I have a website about burn dvd. It recommend some powerful burn dvd software for copy movie. So make sure you visit.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for blogs about martial arts and came across yours. Great blog you got. I have a website somewhat related you might find interesting.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger answer-man said...

Hi, enjoyed your blog and introducing ourselves to the community. We have a nice blog survey we are sharing and has great interest. **www.BibleMediaDvd.Com** Drop on by it's an interesting article. Have a great day. I saved your blog hope you don't mind.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Erik Mann said...

another great blog from you guys. i'd point you to mine but it isn't yet the way I'd like it. i do have a website that I think is cool, kind of almost about martial art trick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home